From insemination to feeling weird in 3 days

3 days after being inseminated I felt an unbelievable pain in my lower back and stomach. With so many negative thoughts going on in my brain I headed to the hospital. Read on to find out what happened to me.

I felt certain I was pregnant. I had no reason to think this, but that is how I felt.  I had hoped this would be the case, that I would just know that I was pregnant.  I just felt different.

Then I really felt something.


A lot of pain.

Now I don’t have the highest pain tolerance around… Some might call me a wimp… But I really didn’t feel great.

I was working summer school, the first day, and I just felt odd. My lower back was KILLING ME, and my stomach hurt quite a bit.  It was a big struggle to make it through the day. I went home to bed, thinking I might have caught something.

The next day I didn’t feel much better. So much so that I left work early and went to my doctors. My back was still killing me, and I was struggling to stand up because of the pain. My doctor is amazing and I got in to see him right away. I explained what was happening, he did an exam and then had me lay down on the bed.   My doctor went and called the fertility clinic to see if they could get me in for an ultrasound to see what was going on.

They could not.

My doctor said I should go to the hospital, so I called my mom at work. She didn’t answer… I called my brother… He didn’t answer… I was basically in tears, no one was around and I hurt!!  My mom called me back quite quickly and I told her the scoop and she left work to come and get me. Bless my doctor for letting me lay in a half sleep/mostly pained state in one of their exam rooms while I waited for my mom.

She arrived, we left to the hospital. I checked in and was told to wait. Now I consider myself very lucky to live in Canada. I don’t to pay for my hospital visit. It is covered. But man sometimes the wait times are killer.

I waited.

And waited.

I watched the woman who checked in with triage after me, leave and come back with a sweatshirt and food… Soooo you’re sick enough to come to the hospital, but not so sick that you can’t walk back home and get food and more clothes… right…  all while I try to not wither in pain and DIE.

Dramatic much?!?

I finally was led in (perhaps because I threatened to lay on the ground because I could no longer sit due to the pain or just because it was my turn) and given a cot to lay on. They brought me warmed blankets (really the only good part of being in the hospital is warm blankets).  And we waited some more.

At this point, I am starving. I was told at triage to not eat or drink, and it had been quite a few hours.  Finally, a doctor comes in, I explain what is going on, they take blood and he says I will have to have an exam.


Not only is the doctor male, but he is smoking hot. Then they get a nurse to assist.

Yes. A male nurse. A smoking hot male nurse.


Here I am, not showered, in pain, looking like lord knows what, and these two smoking hot males are going to do an exam on me. Awesome.

They find nothing. But the blood work comes back and they say I am pregnant. (see!) However because it was so close to my insemination date, and I got that shot to get the process started, they can’t actually say I am pregnant. The shot is a hormone which comes across as pregnant, which is why we are told to not do a home test for the first two weeks.

They then send me, in my mother’s directionally challenged hands, to go find the ultrasound clinic in the hospital because I need an internal ultrasound. Great. So here I am in pain, trying to direct my mother where we should be going and trying to not snap because she is helping and I literally would not be able to get there without her.  Why do they make hospitals so confusing!?

It’s like 11 pm at this point.

Turns out I had an ovarian cyst rupture. Hence the pain.

So because I have been at the hospital for HOURS and haven’t eaten anything, the doctors have to hook me up to an IV and give me fluids because I am so dehydrated. I needed two bags before we could go home.

At 4 am.

After still not eating.

What a long day.

The hospital and staff were amazing, it just was a lot of waiting… and not eating. I love my food.

My poor mom didn’t get to eat either! AND because my dad was out of town, my parent’s poor dogs were home alone from 8 am until 4 am!! Poor things!

So after my night in the hospital, all turned out well. I was off work for the rest of the week and started feeling better after a few days. Want to know if I was really pregnant or not? Stay tuned!

What an adventure!

Comment below and let me know if you had anything happen when you were pregnant!




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *